by Badi Jones
Budget Web Hosting for Beginners
I started using SiteGround just about a year ago. I actually only took note of them after I started seeing good reviews here. SiteGround are consistently praised for their good service and support.
I haven't actually had a need for support, but I can say that they are a solid host with many great features.
- Good performance: I am hosting 3 domains on a GrowBig Hosting plan. I haven't noticed any downtime, pages load quickly, and databases run smoothly.
- Great Features: This is actualy what I've been most impressed with. SiteGround offers free SSL certificates from LetsEncrypt. I have added them to two of my sites, and it only took a few minutes to do. Extremely impressive and valuable.
- User Friendly: My hosting account uses cPanel for managing everything. cPanel is packed with features (lots of automatic / 1 click installs like WordPress and LetsEncrypt) and relatively easy to learn.
- Just about the only con I can think of is that you have to pay for at least a year to get a good price. If you pay for one year up front, it will cost you about $50 when you check out. Just be aware that when the plan renews, it does so at the regular rate of $9.95/month. Well worth it for the quality of service.
Cost: $3.95/ month when you pay for 1 year upfront. Renews at $9.95/ month
Check out SiteGround’s packages here
I have been a DreamHost customer for a long time now. More than 10 years.
DreamHost is a really unique company. Different from any other host I've used (in a really good way).
Their lack of phone support gave me some pause in the begining. But the truth is - DreamHost's ticket support is way better than most other host's phone support.
- Good performance: Great uptime. These guys know how to manage servers. In the many years I've used them, my sites only ever had problems when under extremely large amounts of traffic (think Reddit).
- Great Features: Just like SiteGround, DreamHost offers free SSL with Lets Encrypt. THey've got everything you need for a WordPress site.
- User Friendly: DreamHost also has a really good user interface. They don't use cPanel, but they have a custom control panel that is clean and easy to use.
- Excellent Support: This actually happened about a month ago. While going thru my emails, I noticed that my DreamHost account had been suspended. The credit card they had on file had been expired for about 2-3 months. I had no idea (infant twins will do that to you).
I had no expectation that they would keep a backup of my data for that long. I looked up the rules before hand, and it said that they would only keep backups for 1 month.
When I paid and restored my account, I was shocked when I was able to restore almost all of my data. Two thumbs up for that one!
- I know this review sounds like SiteGround, but again, the only issue I can find with dreamHost is the cost, which again really isn't an issue when you consider the quality of service.
To learn more about DreamHost, use the link in the table above.
If you are looking for a good reputation at a really low price, I would 100% recommend goDaddy. You’ll pay only $12 to get a full year of hosting and a domain name.
For the price, customer support is good at GoDaddy. They also have stable servers (uptime is good). I have had several sites hosted there in the past. I currently only have a doman there now, but performance was always good.
- Good Performance and Uptime
- Good Features: Godaddy has everything you need for a WordPress site.
- Good Support
- Control Panel User Interface is not the most user friendly
Important Note: This plan renews automatically after the first year, so if you don’t want to continue, make sure to cancel before that 1 year mark.
Cost:$1/month for the first year – $6.99/month after the first year.
Godaddy.com offers a ‘One-Click Install’ for WordPress.
Check out Godaddy’s packages here.
Recommended Professional Web Hosting
WP Engine is definitely not for most beginners. It is most expensive host I recommend, and I’d only recommend if you expect to have lots of traffic right away, or need to have top notch support and top notch servers.
$24.17/ month when you pay for 1 year upfront. Renews at $24.17/ month
See all rates